Program: #06-42 Air Date: Oct 09, 2006
While born in Delft, this almost-unknown composer spent his formative creative years in Bruges. Among the rarities on this disc are his setting of a mass for St. Cecelia (patron saint of music), and notably the birth date of his famous predecessor at Bruges, Jacob Obrecht.
Preservation of this program is made possible by a generous grant from a Friend of Millennium of Music.
NOTE: We continue our association with our partners, the Flemish Government Representation at the Embassy of Belgium in Washington, DC, in association with the Belgian Tourist Office in New York. For information on visiting Flanders, please go to:
More general information on Flanders can be found at: www.flanders.be
Gheerkin de Hondt—While born in Delft, this almost-unknown composer spent his formative creative years in Bruges. Among the rarities on this disc are his setting of a mass for St. Cecilia (patron saint of music), and notably the birth date of his famous predecessor at Bruges, Jacob Obrecht.
All of this music (and remarkable research) was on a single disc from the ET'CETERA label, and is CD # KTC 1300.
The performances are by the Egidius Kwartet.
GHEERKIN de HONDT (c. 1510—after 1547):
- Missa Ceciliam cantate pii
- Vox dicentis clama ("A voice said: "Cry out!").
- Jubilate Deo ("Rejoice in the Lord, every land"--Psalm 100).
- Inclina Domine ("Incline Your ear, O Lord, and hear me"--Psalm 86).
- Benedicite Dominus ("Bless us, O Lord").
- D'ung parfond cueur ("From the depths of my heart I have called unto Thee"--Psalm 130).
- A vous me rends ("I give myself up to you").
- Mon petit cueur ("My little heart is no longer mine").
- Langueur d'amour ("The pains of love have come upon me").
- Contre raison ("Without any reason I die of loving you").
- Je me reprens ("I reproach myself for having loved you").
- Helas! Malheur ("Alas, o unhappiness").
- Oncques ne sceu ("I have never been in the graces of she whom I serve so loyally").
GHEERKIN de HONDT (c. 1510--after 1547)
CD # KTC 1300