Program: #20-27 Air Date: Jun 22, 2020
The great English ensemble continues with Volume 8 of their Palestrina cycle, music from Rome in the 16th century, and the latest in the series of recordings dedicated to Henry Purcell.
NOTE: All of the music on this program is from the ensemble The Sixteen directed by Harry Christophers. For more information: https://thesixteen.com/
I. Palestrina: Volume 8. Coro CD COR 16175.
The eighth recording in The Sixteen’s celebrated series focuses on the Last Supper and the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross at the first Easter and includes the Missa Fratres ego enim accepi. Three settings from the Song of Songs also feature.
1. Ego sum panis vivus
2. Fratres ego enim accepi
3. Accepit Jesus calicem
Missa Fratres ego enim accepi
9. Agnus Dei
10. Caro mea vere est cibus
11. Pater noster
12. Sacerdotes Domini
Song of Songs: Nos. 25-27
13. Quam pulchri sunt gressus tui
14. Duo ubera tua
15. Quam pulchra es
16. Victimae paschali laudes
17. Pange lingua
II. The Call of Rome. Coro CD COR16178.
This album concentrates on that call to Rome which was irresistible for the Flemish composer, Josquin, and the Spaniard, Victoria. Here they sit alongside Felice Anerio and Gregorio Allegri who spent their lives in Rome in the service of the Papal chapels.
1. De Lamentatione
Tomás Luis de Victoria (1548-1611)
Tenebrae Responsories for Holy Saturday 1-6
2. Recessit pastor noster
3. O vos omnes
4. Ecce quomodo moritur iustus
5. Astiterunt reges
6. Aestimatus sum
7. Sepulto Domino
Josquin Desprez (c.1452-1521)
8. Pater noster / Ave Maria
Felice Anerio (1560-1614)
9. Litaniae Beatissimae Virginis Mariae
10. Gaude virgo mater Christi
Gregorio Allegri (1582-1652)
11. Gloria from Missa In lectulo meo
12. Illibata Dei virgo
13. Miserere - its evolution
14. Regina caeli laetare a8
15. Salve Regina a8
III. Henry Purcell: Royal Welcome Songs for King Charles II, Volume II. Coro CD COR16173.
1. Hear my prayer, O Lord Z15
2. O solitude, my sweetest choice Z406
3. Lord, how long wilt Thou be angry Z25
4. Pavan of Four Parts in G minor Z752
5. Plung'd in the confines of despair Z142
WELCOME SONG: Welcome to all the pleasures Z339
7. Welcome to all the pleasures
8. Here the deities approve
9. While joys celestial
10. Beauty, thou scene of love
11. In a consort of voices
12. In Thee, O Lord, do I put my trust Z16
13. From silent shades and the Elysian groves Z370
14. Catch: Of all the instruments that are Z263
WELCOME SONG: From hardy climes and dangerous toils of war Z325
16. From hardy climes
17. As fame, great Sir
18. Wake then, my muse!
19. The sparrow and the gentle dove
Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, Tomás Luis de Victoria (1548-1611), Josquin Desprez (c.1452-1521), Felice Anerio (1560-1614), Gregorio Allegri (1582-1652), Henry Purcell
Coro CD COR 16175, Coro CD COR16178, Coro CD COR16173.